So far it’s been a crackerjack year: I’ve managed to crack yet another molar, caught the cold of devine retribution, and decided to enroll in a creative-writing course during my busiest term yet. But my pain is your gain: as I was lying on the sofa, watching the umpteenth talking head report on the 2004 words of the year, I was wondering: why should hip wordsmiths have all the fun?
(Actually I was wondering how I could talk my husband into running to the grocery store for the sixth time that morning for a carton of OJ and a National Enquirer, but that’s another blog entry.) So between bouts of nose blowing, I came up with my list of terms and phrases for librarians workin’ the post-millennium reference desk:
- It’s all good: you’re going to do whatever you damn well please, so why ask me?
- Is this an assignment? Because I can’t imagine you coming up with this question on your own.
- Bling: I’m trying to startle you with my hipness ’cause I want you to stop referring to me as “ma’am”.
- Bling-Bling: Now I’m just trying too hard.
- Über-(your noun-of-choice here): I’m in the dangerous, uncharted terrain of trendy academic terms.
- Full-Text Links: I’ve lost your attention and I’m desperately trying to get it back.
- Basically: I’m stalling for time.
- Essentially: The thought train has left the track, but it’s runnin’ out of steam.
- Post-Modern: I have a vague understanding of the concept, but I’m hedging my bets.
- Deconstructed: Now I have no idea what you’re asking for.
More next time….
What I’m Listening To: Neil Diamond’s TapRoot Manuscript. Because I ain’t no kid, believing in the Bible….
Selling Out Dept: T-shirts, that is. Because I find it disturbing the post-office folks know me so well that they’re giving me dental advice, I’ve decided to give up my direct t-shirt sales business and move everything to my cafepress.com store. This means what’s left is on sale! Small-to-extra large shirts are now $10.00; XXL and XXXL shirts are $12.00. So go to my direct sales web page and check it out!
(Note: the page will list the old prices but when ordering, the new prices will appear.)
(Post-Note Note: I haved one XL shirt left. If you’re interested in ordering it, e-mail me.)