Okay; now I’m getting weirded out by this dying-celebrity thing: Donald O’Connor and Gordon Jump?? It’s hard for me to think of Donald O’Connor as old, much less gone–anyone who can do those backflips in the “Make ‘Em Laugh” dance number from Singing in the Rain cannot be old–ever. As for Gordon Jump: I’ll always remember him for his infamous line: “as god as my witness I thought turkeys could fly” in the WKRP episode, “Turkeys Away“. In it, the radio station tries a Thanksgiving Day promotion by tossing turkeys out of a helicopter. Hilarity and dead turkeys ensue.
Accident Lessons: I said I wasn’t going to say much about the accident and I won’t, but I will share with you some things I’ve learned since:
- Never watch the Seventh Seal or any Ingmar Bergman film a week after an accident. Fanny and Alexander is okay, though.
- The police frown upon people driving 25 mph will the horn constantly blaring.
- I have a lot more sympathy for older folks or people who move verrry slowly….
- Never watch Rescue 911, Paramedics, Critical Hour or pretty much any show on the Discovery Health Channel.
- A big-ass bandage on the forehead attracts quite a bit of attention.
- Friends driving you around town frown upon you sobbing hysterically whenever they drive through an intersection.