Attention Mature Librarians! If you’re over 55 and able to straighten your crabbed fingers, please fill out our survey. It should take no longer than ten minutes, not including the times you nod off during the session:
1. How long have you worked as a librarian?
- Since the Beatles broke up.
- Not sure, but still waiting for the doughboys to come back from the front.
- Let’s see; does Paleolithic come before Neolithic?
- Pick a date that sounds old-timey
More things learned at ALA:
- Disneyland may be the Happiest Place on Earth, but Anaheim? Not so happy.
- Even celebrities visit Disneyland, or at least the restaurants in Downtown Disney.
- Stephen Abram is the quantum particle of librarianship, seeming to pop up in every location I visited. By the end of the conference I was half-expecting him to walk out of a stall in the women’s restroom (sorry Stephen, but you were that ubiquitous).
- I am very afraid of
For all the kvetching we’ve done (me included, never-you-mind) about the librarian action figure and the librarian stereotype, Nancy Pearl finally gets the last word courtesy of Sunday’s Stone Soup comic strip. What’s nice is that Jan Eliot gets the true nature of librarianship right, focusing on censorship and information access, rather than checking out books or looking dour.
What I’m Watching:Read the rest