- We as a profession do not look good in sleeveless tops. However, we do look fabulous in full wool suits, complete with bowtie and briefcase, walking a mile in 93° heat. Insane, but fabulous.
- It’s also pretty obvious that we also eschew thongs as an undergarment.
- Disturbing vendor trend: The prevelance of grandma-like candy in way too many booths, leading to the unnerving site of librarians sporting blue stripes on their tongues.
- So what happened to Checkpoint Elvis???
- Sign of a newbie vendor: the panicky look in the eyes of a manga rep when the realization hit that he was out of complimentary tote-bags while librarians circled about him, trolling for gift chum.
- Thanks to Library Journal for picking my sister’s entry for a $250 gift certificate for her library, though other than me, she has absolutely no affiliation with any library whatsoever. After spending hours trying to convince LJ that Sephora is a big supporter of libraries, she reluctantly agreed to donate the gift to my library (after four giant Long Island iced teas, of course….)
Highpoint of the Conference: the graciousness of the librarians from Faulkner University
Most Awkward Moment: Introducing myself to Walt Crawford. He looked bewildered. Or annoyed. Or quite possibly both.
Second Wettest Moment: Stepping ankle-deep in rainwater whilst dashing to the rental car after escaping the fiasco that was the aforementioned reception.
Evidence the Conference was an Ordeal: My continually fighting the urge to jump off the shuttle bus and run off to a nice, air-conditioned theater to see White Chicks
Librarians as Outlaws Dept: A librarian arrested for being a wanted Black Panther–now that’s more like it, folks!